1 cup maple syrup
4 slices bacon
10 black pepper corns
2 t. ground dried basil
1 sm. can diced peaches
1 sm. can sliced peaches (in light syrup)
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup roughly chopped craisins
1/4 cup raisins (golden raisins are ok)
1 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp cinnamon (divided)
1/4 cup dried apricots chopped
1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp syrup reserved from peaches
3 fresh eggs
1 Tbsp heavy cream
1 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
1 cup sliced almonds lightly toasted
4 slices cracked wheat sour dough bread
1. Start the syrup mixture. Cook bacon until crispy, set aside, saving 1 Tbsp bacon fat, on paper towels to drain, then crumble.
2. In small sauce pan put syrup, crumbled bacon, peppercorns, and basil. Bring to low boil and reduce to simmer. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove all ten pepper corns and set aside.
3. Now make Chutney: In another sauce pan melt butter and add 1 small can of diced peaches, reserving 1-1/2 Tbsp of the syrup. Add chopped pecans, craisins, raisins,1 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp allspice, dried chopped apricots, reserved syrup from peaches, and 1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and simmer for 20 minutes. Take off heat and set aside.
5. Now let’s make the French toast. First we make the egg mixture: Put the eggs in a deep pie plate along with 1 tsp cinnamon and heavy cream. Whisk until well mixed. Then soak 2 slices of bread in egg mixture. After soaking bread for a few minutes, lay the soaked bread on the toasted almonds, sticking some of them to each side. Heat bacon pan with the reserved bacon fat.
7. Repeat cooking process with next two pieces of soaked, coated bread. Now we can put this all together! To plate: Lay two pieces cooked French bread on plate and top with chutney that has been re-warmed. Lay three slices of the sliced, drained peaches on top of chutney. Then pour 1/2 of the syrup with the bacon bits still in it (with pepper corns removed) over this. Now top with a dollop of yogurt. When in Season put a fresh mint leaf on top of each piece.